Friday, February 1, 2008

Tasting: Green Flash Barleywine


This month, beer bloggers are tasting a Barleywine and blogging about it in The Session #12:Barleywine so this week I went looking for a local Barleywine.

Green Flash is a package brewery, not a brewpub. I had first tasted their beer a couple years ago when they had a rep. in the local Costco. I think they could have picked a better name, it sounds like a super-hero, but it is actually named after a phenomenon that can occur at sunset where the sun appears green.

Tasting: Chilled to ~55 degrees (f) from a pint glass.

Appearance: 3/3 beautiful mahogany color.
Head: 3/3 light head that lasts for the whole glass.
Aroma: 3/3 Strong hops aroma (Cascade?) with a bit of yeast.
Flavor: 2/3 Hops, Hops, Hops.
Mouth feel: 2/3 Low carbonation, medium body, hoppy finish.
Overall: 3/3 This is the first barleywine I have had and I was surprised by the style. It is closer to an amber ale than a stout and very drinkable. I enjoyed the emphasis on hops that this beer had too.
Buzz: Are you kidding, its a barleywine at 10% alcohol!

No comments: