Friday, February 8, 2008

Tasting: Left Hand Deep Cover Brown Ale


Tasting: Chilled to ~50 degrees (f) from a pint glass.

Appearance: 3/3 beautiful brown/red color, clear with tiny bubbles that keep rising well after the pour.
Head: 3/3 fluffy, tan light head that drops off but lasts for the whole glass.
Aroma: 3/3 Pleasant toasted malt aroma, with some hops.
Flavor: 2/3 Slightly nutty, malt flavors, hops provide some bitterness, but their taste is too subtle for me to discern.
Mouth feel: 2/3 Medium carbonation, medium/light body, smooth, aftertaste is of toasted malt that fades to smoke.
Overall: 2/3 Very pleasant beer, and especially tasty with food, but I didn't like the smoky aftertaste.
Buzz: 3/3 Mild buzz after 1 glass.

This beer came with my beer-of-the-month club and on first tasting I didn't really enjoy it. It was good, but nothing special. Then I had it with a meal and that is where it really shined. It is is versatile with food, and not overpowering.

1 comment:

Andrew Campbell said...

Looks like you joined BOTM as well. I'll be interested to see what you make of the other Left Hand beers... I liked the Deep Cover, as well, but the Sawtooth Ale didn't do much for me.

Why are you wasting your beer on food?

A.