Sunday, January 6, 2008

All-grain brewing demo

Today Hydrobrew put on an all-grain brewing demonstration. The recipe was a chocolate stout, I didn't take enough notes to repeat the recipe, but the brewmaster said he expected an abv of 7% or so.

The brewery was 3 kegs, with a sightglass on the hot liquor tank, a Mash/Lauter Tun with a bazooka-style false bottom, and a keg with a 1/2" ball valve as the brew kettle. The stand was a 10 ft pole with each keg circling downward, all with burners and a quick-connect gas line.

I am still building up my brewery. I have a 32qt brew kettle that works great for extract brewing, but I am worried it will be small for an all-grain brew if it boils over. I have a keg that I need to drill and install a false bottom into, and I need to decide what I am going to do for my hot liquor tank. I was thinking of using a 10 gal. rubbermaid cooler, but it seems more flexible to use another keg since I could also use it as a large brew kettle if I needed to. I also picked up a 1 gallon glass jug for experimental brews and Brad picked up a 25ft wort cooler too.

We heard of a north county home-brew club called the Society of Barley Engineers. I will have to check it out next month.

No comments: